Perfect for the spring season, this light and fluffy cake will have you floating on cloud nine. The Lemon & Coconut cake with its tangy centre is a fresh crowd pleaser and is perfect for morning tea or brunch. A guaranteed family favourite, this cake can also be frozen.
Prep time: 0:25 hours / Cooking time: 1:00 hours / Serves 8
- Melted butter, to grease
- 200g butter chopped, room temperature
- 215g caster sugar
- 1 tbsp finely grated lemon rind
- 2 eggs
- 65g desiccated coconut
- 2 cups self-raising flour
- 125ml fresh lemon juice
- 60ml milk
- 150g icing sugar mixture, sifted
- 1.5 tbsp hot water
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 30g flaked coconut
- Preheat oven to 170°C. Grease an 11 x 21cm (base measurement) loaf pan with melted butter. Line the base with non-stick baking paper.
- Using an electric beater, beat the chopped butter, sugar and lemon rind until pale and creamy. Add the eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Stir the desiccated coconut into the egg mixture. Fold in the flour, lemon juice and milk, in alternating batches, until just combined. Spoon mixture into the prepared pan and smooth the surface.
- Bake cake in the oven for 1 hour or until a skewer inserted in the centre comes out clean. Set aside in pan for 5 minutes before turning onto a wire rack to cool completely.
- Combine the icing sugar, water and vanilla in a bowl. Drizzle over the cake and sprinkle with flaked coconut or edible flowers and serve.
Recipe courtesy of taste.com.au