French toast is an easy breakfast dish. This recipe is kid-friendly and requires very few ingredients, most of which will already be in your pantry. Golden brown toast with crispy edges and wonderfully pillow-soft insides.
Prep time: 0:10 hours / Cooking time: 0:05 hours / Serves 2-3
- 6 slices of thick white bread
- 3-4 eggs
- 1 pint milk
- 25-50g butter
- 5mL vanilla extract
- 5mL ground cinnamon
- Dash of salt
- In a large bowl, whisk together the eggs, milk, salt, vanilla extract and ground cinnamon. Transfer the egg mixture to a large shallow glass or ceramic dish.
- Dip both sides of each slice of bread into the egg mixture.
- Melt one tablespoon of butter in a large non-stick frying pan, over medium to medium-high heat.
- Fry the slices of bread until golden brown on one side, then turn and fry the other side until golden brown as well.
- If not serving immediately, keep warm in a 130°C oven.
- Continue frying the other slices of bread, adding more butter as needed.
- Serve with maple syrup and fruit toppings of your choice.
Recipe courtesy of Jamie Oliver.