Raspberries and pistachios, the unsung heroes of dessert combinations. This easy to make dessert is a well-loved classic: with its crisp, shattering shell, gooey marshmallow meringue insides and soft, cool whipped cream.
Prep time: 0:45 hours / Cooking time: 0:50 hours / Serves 14 (mini pavlovas)
- 2 large egg whites
- dash of salt
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 tsp cornstarch
- dash of vanilla
- 1/2 tsp white wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup pistachios, pulsed in food processor
- 1/2 cup whipping cream, whipped into soft peaks
- chopped pistachios, to garnish
- Preheat the oven to 180°C. With an electric beater, whisk the egg whites with the salt until peaks start to form. Add the sugar in a slow stream. Whip until egg whites are shiny and stiff. Sprinkle in the cornstarch, vanilla, vinegar and pistachios and gently fold to combine.
Scoop the meringue into equal mounds on a parchment lined baking sheet. Place in the oven and immediately turn down to 150°C, then bake for 25 minutes. Turn the oven off and leave in for another 25 minutes, then remove from the oven. Cool completely.
To serve, top with softly whipped cream, raspberries and an extra sprinkle of chopped pistachios.
* If you want super-green pistachios, blanch them in boiling water for 10-15 seconds. Strain, then rub in a clean tea towel to remove their skins. If the skins are still clinging, you can soak them in cold water while you rub as it will help the skins slip right off.
Recipe courtesy of I am a Food Blog.