These golden Belgian waffles are sure to bring a smile to anyone's face; when made fresh, they are light, with a crispy outer shell and soft on the inside. This delicious recipe is easy to follow and can be stored in the freezer for later.
Prep time: 0:10 hours / Cooking time: 0:12 hours / Serves 6
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 4 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 2 cups milk
- 2 tsp vanilla
- Oil the waffle maker, or use butter for extra flavour.
- Sift the dry ingredients together in a large bowl.
- In a separate bowl, separate egg whites and beat them with an electric mixer until stiff peaks form.
- Mix together the egg yolks, milk, oil and vanilla, and stir slightly. Add to dry ingredients and mix well. Fold in the egg whites.
- Cook batter in waffle iron on medium to high heat for around 5-10 minutes.
- Serve warm, with pecans and maple syrup.
* For an added twist, you can replace 1/2 cup of milk with 1/2 cup of ginger ale. This ensures a light and fluffy batter still, whilst adding an extra bit of flavour.